Funding & Event sponsoring
For the first period 2017-2020, the Swiss Government has allocated CHF 68 million to SPHN of which CHF 50 Mio were under the responsibility of the SPHN National Steering Board (NSB) and the Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences (SAMS), based on the Funding Principles and Funding Regulations. The remaining funds were dedicated to the BioMedIT project, managed by SIB.
In 2021, the Swiss Government renewed the mandate of the SAMS and the SIB for a second SPHN funding period for 2021 to 2024. From a total budget of CHF 66.9 Mio, CHF 50 Mio are again under the responsibility of the NSB and SAMS and the remainder is dedicated to BioMedIT.
SPHN funding is allocated to support the project types described below and to event sponsoring.
SPHN has chosen a bottom-up and a top-down approach to fund projects that contribute to make health-related data interoperable and shareable for research in Switzerland. Through top-down infrastructure implementation projects, SPHN ensures sustainable data availability for secondary usage. Through bottom-up competitive calls for proposals, projects are funded that drive the infrastructure development, test its utility and enable high-end research in personalized health.
As per SPHN's Funding Regulations, sponsoring can only be provided to Swiss higher education institutions (ETH-Domain, Universities, Universities of Applied Sciences) and University Hospitals, as well as other research institutions recognized by SERI.
SPHN event sponsorship is designed to primarily (objectives are cumulative):
- Increase visibility of the SPHN initiative as a whole;
- Inform the community on infrastructure development and research activities in the field of Personalized Health, while breaking existing silos between different research areas;
- Disseminate information about existing or newly built infrastructure, that will contribute to the goals of SPHN on reaching interoperability of health-related data at the national level.
Requests for SPHN event sponsorship is subject to the following criteria:
- Topic: The conference program has a strong relevance to the activities and goals of SPHN and contributes to breaking silos among the different disciplines of Personalized Health research;
- Location: The event (conference, workshop, roundtable, summer school, etc.) is organized and takes place in Switzerland;
- Amount requested from SPHN: The SPHN conference sponsorship can either be a fixed lump sum (max. CHF 5’000.-) or a deficit guarantee (max. CHF 20’000.-);
- Budget: The budget indicates all sources of funding (planned, requested or allocated) as well as anticipated expenses. The conference budget shall not aim at creating a profit for the parent organization;
- Matching financial support: the matching financial support from the applicants shall be at least equal or greater than (>=50%) the amount requested from SPHN;
- Acknowledgment: SPHN is acknowledged as sponsor in conference presentations/proceedings;
- Terms and conditions: The sponsorship conditions are contractually stipulated. In the case of a deficit guarantee, the sponsored party shall submit a financial report with details on the actuals costs to SPHN. In case the event closes on a surplus (positive balance), the sponsors shall be reimbursed proportionally to their contributions.
- Submission: Applications are reviewed 3-4 times per year and should be submitted no later than 2 months before the event.
Event Sponsorship Guidelines (version: 28.09.2022)
Event Sponsorship Application Template (version: 20.10.2022)
How to submit an event sponsoring request?
Applications are reviewed 3-4 times per year and should be submitted no later than 2 months before the event.
Applications should be made using the application template and submitted by E-mail to email@example.com
Sponsoring requests are formally checked by the SPHN Management Office and discussed by the NSB Ausschuss. The decision is communicated to the applicants in the form of a ruling/contract.
Next NSB Ausschuss meetings
Thursday 26 January 2023
Thursday 20 April 2023
Thursday 31 August 2023
Thursday 19 October 2023