Funding & Event Sponsoring
Based on the Funding Principles and Funding Regulations, the Swiss Government has allocated a total of CHF 68 million to SPHN for the first period 2017-2020 of which 50 million are under the responsibility of the National Steering Board (NSB) and the Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences (SAMS).
The remainder is dedicated to the BioMedIT project which is under the responsibility of SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics. The matching funds' principle applies to all financial contributions, i.e. the participating institutions must provide their own contributions (in cash and/or in-kind) to match the funds provided by SPHN (see Funding Regulations).
SPHN supports projects that fall into one of the instruments described below. To take advantage of the entire ecosystem, two coordinated Calls for Proposals were organized with the Strategic Focus Area 'Personalized Health and Related Technologies (PHRT) of the ETH Domain. No other Calls for Proposals within the funding period 2017-2020 is foreseen.
As per SPHN's Funding Regulations, sponsoring can only be provided to Swiss higher education institutions (ETH-Domain, Universities, Universities of Applied Sciences) and University Hospitals, as well as other research institutions recognized by SERI.
SPHN event sponsorship is designed to primarily (objectives are cumulative):
- Increase visibility of the SPHN initiative as a whole;
- Inform the community on infrastructure development and research activities in the field of Personalized Health, while breaking existing silos between different research areas;
- Disseminate information about existing or newly built infrastructure, that will contribute to the goals of SPHN on reaching interoperability of health-related data at the national level.
Requests for SPHN event sponsorship is subject to the following criteria:
- Topic: The conference program has a strong relevance to the activities and goals of SPHN and contributes to breaking silos among the different disciplines of Personalized Health research;
- Location: The event (conference, workshop, roundtable, summer school, etc.) is organized and takes place in Switzerland;
- Amount requested from SPHN: The SPHN conference sponsorship can either be a fixed lump sum (max. CHF 5’000.-) or a deficit guarantee (max. CHF 20’000.-);
- Budget: The budget indicates all sources of funding (planned, requested or allocated) as well as anticipated expenses. The conference budget shall not aim at creating a profit for the parent organization;
- Matching financial support: the matching financial support from the applicants shall be at least equal or greater than (>=50%) the amount requested from SPHN;
- Acknowledgment: SPHN is acknowledged as sponsor in conference presentations/proceedings;
- Terms and conditions: The sponsorship conditions are contractually stipulated. In the case of a deficit guarantee, the sponsored party shall submit a financial report with details on the actuals costs to SPHN. In case the event closes on a surplus (positive balance), the sponsors shall be reimbursed proportionally to their contributions.
- Submission: Applications are reviewed 3-4 times per year and should be submitted no later than 2 months before the event (see submission deadlines in the blue box on the right-hand side. Applications should be made using the application template and submitted using the dedicated online form.
How to submit an event sponsoring request?
Applications are reviewed 3-4 times per year and should be submitted no later than 2 months before the event.
The next application deadlines are:
- 7 January 2020 (23h59 CET)
- 8 March 2020 (23h59 CET)
- 10 June 2020 (23h59 CET)
- 4 October 2020 (23h59 CET)